Matthew D. Kohel
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, Dean's list, 1999) Brooklyn Journal of International Law, Notes & Comments Editor (2001-02)
- Binghamton University (B.A. in Politics and Law, Philosophy, cum laude, 1995)
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court Southern District of New York
Matthew D. Kohel
Mr. Kohel is a partner with the firm. His practice is concentrated in the areas of commercial, intellectual property, and product liability litigation. He represents clients in a wide variety of matters, including for breach of contract, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty, as well as in disputes for trademark infringement, the sale of counterfeit goods, misappropriation of trade secrets, and in patent infringement matters. Mr. Kohel has litigated cases in federal courts across the country and in domestic and international arbitrations. He regularly handles technical, scientific, and regulatory issues.
Mr. Kohel began his legal career at a large law firm in New York City. Since joining Goodell DeVries in 2013, he has successfully arbitrated cases involving claims for patent royalties, the enforcement of covenants not to compete, and for breaches of an international distribution agreement.
Mr. Kohel enjoys giving back to the community and has worked on pro bono matters throughout his career, including co-authoring a clemency petition resulting in the commutation of a mentally impaired inmate’s death sentence. He is a member of the Industry Council for Tangible Assets’ Anti-Counterfeiting Task Force, and a board member of the Middle Grades Partnership in Baltimore.
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Brodsky v. KaVo Dental Technologies, LLC, et al., No. 8:15-cv-03587-PX, (D. Md. May 17, 2018) (awarded summary judgment for medical device manufacturer in product liability action after successfully excluding plaintiffs’ expert engineer’s opinions on causation).
- Brodsky v. KaVo Dental Technologies, LLC, et al., No. 8:15-cv-03587-PX, (D. Md. Jan. 30, 2018) (excluded plaintiffs’ mechanical engineering expert under Daubert for failing to utilize a reliable scientific methodology).
- Dentsply Sirona Inc. v. LIK Supply, Corp., et al., No. 3:16-cv-00806-MAD-DEP (N.D.N.Y. Sept. 29, 2017) (obtained a $900,000 judgment and a permanent injunction against defendants who operated an internet-based counterfeiting operation).
- Johnson v. Dentsply Sirona Inc., No. 4:16-cv-00520-CVE-PJC (N.D. Okla. Sept. 27, 2017) (made new law in the Tenth Circuit by obtaining district court confirmation of a preliminary injunction issued in an arbitration that enforced a party’s contractual loyalty commitments).
- Community Service Society Award in Recognition of Pro Bono Legal Services (2012)
- Kaye Scholer, LLP Pro Bono Achievement Awards (2006, 2008)